Ok, first off, I’m going to go through the whole agreement form in this post. It is a bit long, but I hope this helps you with your next exchange agreeement.
Having chosen your partner and clicked the Start Exchange Agreement button our system made one of these forms for you and one for your partner. You can see here that it has automatically filled in both of your names and contact information. You can choose to show your email address and/or mobile phone number on your working exchange agreement. This information will only be displayed here. It will not be visible to other members or your exchange partner via the contact information on your listing.
Holiday Dates [required]
In the next section you should give the dates you will be staying in your partner’s home. Remember, your partner’s form is independent of yours so be sure to put the dates you are planning to be there. Your exchange partner should put the dates they are planning to be in your home.
Question: What if it is a non-simultaneous exchange and one party doesn’t know their dates yet?
The form requires that you add dates in order to save it. Since non-simultaneous exchange usually requires more planning, we recommend you choose something close. You will be keeping in touch with your exchange partner anyway.
Question: I am having trouble getting the dates to work. What am I doing wrong?
These date-picker calendars on the web all work slightly differently and that can be troublesome. Here is what you need to do to use ours:
- Click in the white date field (highlighted with a blue frame).
- Set the year by clicking on the year – it will give you a menu to choose from.
- Choose the month via the little dark triangles in the gray Month bar (first red arrow)
- Then choose on the day that you want by clicking on it.
- The date-picker calendar will disappear and the year, month and date you chose will appear in the box.
Exchange Participants [required]
This is where you list all of the people who will be staying in your partner’s home. You will not be able to save your form if you do not have at least one person in this section.
The new form loads with space for one participant. To add another one participant, click the grey button “Add a Participant”. Fill in the name and age of the next person travelling with you.
To remove someone from your party, just click the red “trash” button next to the name of the person who will not be accompanying you after all.
About our Cars
Next, you’ll find a text box where you can write any important details about your car. If you need more room to write, just click and drag on that little “handlebar” in the lower right-hand corner of the text box.
Some things that you might want to mention are:
- Where you will leave your car keys and where your partner should put them when they go home.
- The condition of your gas tank when your partner arrives and when they leave.
- Whether or not you expect your partner to wash or vacuum the car before they leave.
- If you have more than one car, which one(s) are available for your partner’s use.
- Other insurance details beyond the scope of the checkbox.
Telephone and Internet
Update: This section used to be called “Regarding Long Distance Calls” but has been changed to better reflect how members are using it. (March, 2014)
Some things you might want to clarify here are:
- Whether your partner may use your phone for making toll calls and how payment for them is to be handled.
- The availability of Internet and any connected costs + how payment for these is to be handled.
- Where you will leave the wifi credentials. For security reasons, please don’t leave them in your exchange agreement.
Special Cleaning Requests
In this box members often write about:
- Linens: Should your partner wash them before they leave? Change the beds? Do you prefer to do this yourself?
- Yard work / plant watering that needs to be done while you are away.
- Where your partner can find cleaning supplies.
Regarding Keys to My Home
That one is pretty clear. This is the place to arrange pick-up and drop-off of keys.
Anything you want to agree with your partner about taking care of your pets?
- Location of pet food.
- Number of times a day to feed pets.
- Exercise schedule (how many times a day Fido needs to go outside and where his leash is kept).
Other Special Requests
What have we missed in the list above? This is the place to mention it.
Three easy checkboxes to give your partner explicit permission to use your linens (or not), to bring their guests into your home (or not), and to bring their own pets.
After that, it’s time to save your form – and that is all this button does. It does not send your terms to your partner but assumes that your agreement is a draft. When you are ready to send your terms to your partner for review, you will find a button on the Exchanges Overview page.